Monday, June 29, 2009

Little Green Bugs

Little green bugs are abundant where I live.
Tiny, short-range missiles of the insect world
Buzzing, crawling, sneaky little devils - what I wouldn't give
To get rid of them, all innocence with wings unfurled
Saying "Who could hate me? I'm so small and harmless."
Harmless, maybe, up to the point when one goes
Around and around my head, nothing is worse, unless
It's when it decides, after all, to fly up my nose.

Thank God for spiders, though not when they're inside
My home - No, when they craft their webs and set
Their traps. I can see the bodies of the bugs who died
Struggling in vain to free themselves, to glide
Up, up, and away. But the wise little spiders wait
Patiently, quietly, biding their time until bugs fly
Into their invisible, intricate snares made by eight
Clever legs - ready to suck them dry.

Thank God for the bats when they come out at night!
Little flying mammals navigating by the sound
Of squeaks and echos. I love the sight
Of them at dusk. I love watching them flit around
Darting this way and that. I never shared the fear
That these amazing nocturnal creatures change
Their taste for bugs into a taste for blood. It's clear
That they're happy with their diet, though it's strange.

Little green bugs are always landing in the pool
And drowning. On a long day when it's hotter than hell
I just want to come home, grab a book and cool
Off in the water - water filled with the bugs that fell
And couldn't get themselves out, but the silly things
Are at their most alarming when I'm asleep in my bed.
What are they doing when I'm unaware? A bug clings
To my hair, making its way to my ear to lay eggs in my head.

Or so I believe, when I wake up with a start.
I dig frantically at my ear, trying to get them out
Until I realize I'm dreaming, and my pounding heart
Goes back to its regular rhythm. I seriously doubt
Those insects intend to frighten me so.
They're just trying to live - the thought of them tugs
At my conscience. I feel sorry for them, though
I hate them. Damn those little green bugs.

1 comment:

Bri said...

I apologize, readers. I really suck at poetry!